We have all been there with our precious dogs. You have a delicious sugary treat, and they are giving all of the tell-tale signs that they want some.
So you wonder to yourself, can dogs eat cotton candy?
Before doing that, you may want to rethink doing so because it may not be in the best interest of your dog’s health to give in and give them some. Continue reading to learn about cotton candy ingredients and the way that it can affect your dog’s health.
The short answer is no. Dog’s should not consume cotton candy because it is only refined sugar and too much of it is sure to make your dog sick.
Although typical cotton candy doesn’t have toxic qualities, the sugar-free versions can be harmful to your beloved companion.
Yes, cotton candy is an unhealthy choice of food for your canine friend. To find out the exact problems, we have to take a closer look at it to unveil the ingredients that can hurt your dog.
To make cotton candy all you need is sugar; food coloring gets added to make it more visually appealing. And some of the sugar-free candies tend to use fake sweeteners as opposed to sugar.
White sugar is the main component of cotton candy, and it happens to be a very unhealthy choice for your beloved friend.
Below are the other ingredients that can affect your dog.
Granulated white sugar is pretty much your dog is eating when they get a piece of cotton candy. Even though dogs have a need for sugar for their metabolism, they’ll produce them from consuming natural foods. In simpler terms, there’s no need for them to eat sugar separately.
Since they are extremely addictive, dogs can get used to eating sweet snacks. This sort of situation is more dangerous because they can seek the candies out and look to eat them whenever possible.
The immediate effects of eating sugary foods are:
- Blood sugar imbalance
- Tummy ache
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Tooth decay
Many confectionaries, such as cotton candy instead of sugar, contain Xylitol, an artificial sweetener.
However, when given to dogs, xylitol is like poison. Canines that eat baked goods with Xylitol might experience:
- Damage to the liver
- In more severe cases, death
Food coloring is often incorporated into cotton candy simply to make it more appealing to eat. However, these dyes are not always organic, and they might have chemicals that can harm your dog’s health and cause allergic reactions.
So don’t risk it when it comes to your dog and the food that they eat, foods that are organic without any additives will always be the best choices.
For us humans, Xylitol is a much better option than pure white sugar. It is considered safe for us to eat, yet toxic for dogs. Once your dog has digested the substance, it can cause their pancreas to start releasing incredibly high and often dangerous levels of insulin.
The result is a large drop in your blood sugar, causing weakness, unconsciousness, shivering, seizures, exhaustion, and even death in the most severe instances.
It is critical to understand that Xylitol becomes toxic at 0.1 grams for every two pounds of your dog’s weight. Therefore, a 60-lb dog only needs three grams of Xylitol to be in danger.
Aside from the fact that sugar is not good for any of us, young and old alike, it has especially harsh effects on dogs that are already overweight, diabetic, and old. The excessive sugar in cotton candy may increase your dog’s risk of getting hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar. That can be lethal to diabetic canines.
Many veterinarians suggest that your companions eat almost all of the calories they need daily from approved sources of dog food. They should most importantly have an overall balanced diet. If you have already given your dog their allotment of snacks, do not give them more, especially cotton candy.
Additionally, cotton candy also is not healthy for your dog’s teeth. They will be more susceptible to cavities and infections when they eat a lot of treats with high sugar content.
Let’s say your dog has eaten cotton candy that has Xylitol in it. Call the veterinarian as soon as you can, or even the pet poison hotline.
Let them know that your dog has eaten food containing Xylitol, what breed they are, how much they weigh, and how much of the cotton candy they were able to eat. Additionally, don’t hesitate to tell them if your dog has any other health conditions.
Let your vet advise you on what to do next. Do not try to make your dog vomit unless you get instructed to do so. Take them to the office if possible and let the doctor handle the situation for you.
If the Xylitol is in your dog’s system for over 30 minutes, their body will absorb it, and you may start to notice some symptoms of consumption. You may even see symptoms 24 hours after they’ve eaten the Xylitol, depending on their weight, size, age, and other factors. For these reasons, go to the vet immediately.
So, can dogs have Cotton candy? In reality, dogs should not eat cotton candy no matter how low the chance is that they get seriously injured. It’s too high of a risk when you can just give them a healthier alternative to satisfy their sweet tooth.
Possible Xylitol toxicity in conjunction with high amounts of sugar makes cotton candy a poor food choice for your canine companion.