As a cat owner, you know that your cat or multiple cats bring constant companionship. However, if you live in a small apartment and have a cat or multiple cats, you know the challenge of finding the space you need for not only your stuff but theirs too. You have to prioritize what you need for your cats and not always what you want for them. There’s one essential, though, and that is a litter box.
Litter boxes can take up a ton of precious space, but they don’t have to. Thankfully, there are plenty of litter boxes on the market today that accommodate smaller spaces while keeping your living area clear of tracked litter and odors.
Best Cat Litter Boxes For Small Apartment
Here are our top choices for litter boxes for small spaces:
1. Modkat Litter Box For Small Spaces
Known as the “iPod of litter boxes,” the Modkat Litter Box, is a top entry box that includes everything you need with a litter box: a seamless base to prevent leaks, an easy-open swivel lid, and a reusable tarp liner for easy disposal. Clean and attractive (and who can say that about a litter box?), the Modkat is the perfect solution for your smaller space.
Litter tracking is one of the biggest pains of a litter box; that stuff gets everywhere! The Modkat has solved this problem with its locking lid that acts as a walk-off mat to keep litter from tracking all over your floors. In fact, this box reduces litter to about 70% to 95% of a traditional litter box. The scoop includes an ergonomic handle that sifts clumps easily and quickly, and the scratch-resistant reusable line is easy to clean and reuse.
The Modkat is perfect for your small apartment. It only takes up 16 x 16 x x15 inches and weighs 5 pounds, so It should easily fit wherever you need it to fit. The entry dimensions are 9 inches in diameter, so this box should fit most cats. This modern, stylish litterbox comes in the colors red, white, and black.
Apparently, we aren’t the only ones who love the Modkat Litter box! This award-winning litter box has been featured in a ton of shows, news publications, and websites including, Forbes, New York Times, LA Times, the Wall Street Journal, Animal Planet’s My Cat from Hell, and BuzzFeed to name a few.
- The patented design of Modkat eliminates litter tracking with the locking lid acting as a walk-off mat.
- The swivel lid makes cleaning quick and straightforward.
- Scratch-resistant and easy to clean, the reusable liners fit perfectly into the box and can last up to three months.
- The modern design looks great and fits nicely into any room, even if you have limited space.
- Minimizes litter tracking
- Strong liners with a long lifespan
- Easy to scoop and replace the litter
- Sleek and stylish design and available in three colors
- The size is more suitable for small or average cat sizes (however, some large cats use it with no issues)
- Not all cats like to use a top-entry litter box
2. Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Box
If you want your litter box to blend right in with the décor in your apartment, this next litter box is what you’re looking for. The Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Box is disguised as a potted plant! This large capacity cat litterbox looks like a real clay pot and comes with a high-quality plant and decorative moss on top. Made of durable polypropylene, this cat litter box is designed to last.
At 19 x 19 x 14 inches and 6 pounds, the Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Box is large enough to accommodate larger cats and/or multiple cats. With the plant, this litter box measures 42 inches tall. However, it’s small enough to place anywhere you want in your apartment. The vented design and filter does a great job of controlling dust and odor. With a 9 x 9-inch entry opening, this litter box can accommodate large cats and multi-cat households.
This litter box also can be used as a cat bed! Just line the base with bedding, and you have a discreet comfy bed for your furry friend. A one-year limited warranty from Good Pet Stuff tops off the deal.
- Since it doubles as a house plant, the litter box blends with any room in your house.
- Made with polypropylene, this litter box is durable and steady.
- The vent system and filter help with odor and dust.
- Designed for multiple cats of any size.
- Decorative design that conceals the litter box
- Vent system and filter
- One year limited warranty
- Holds a large amount of litter which can get heavy
- The plant looks fake, according to some customers (well, it is fake, but you can replace it with another one!)
3. PetSafe Hooded Cat Litter Box
Our third choice is the PetSafe Hooded Cat Litter Box that packs a ton of innovative features into one litterbox. First of all, it is an automatic cleaning box. Within 5-20 minutes after your cat uses the litter box, the ScoopFree will quietly clean out the litter box, which means no scooping, cleaning, or refilling your cat’s litter box for weeks!
Second, it features five times more odor control with the silica gel crystal litter. The low tracking crystals are 99% dust free, and they won’t stick to your cat’s paws, so no more tracking litter around the house.
Cleaning a litter box can be messy because some of them leak. Not this one. It comes disposable trays with plastic lining to protect against leaking. The clean-up for this litter box is quick and easy: all you do is remove the tray and throw it away every 30 days! Each tray comes with a lid for easy disposal. At 28.5 x 20.5 x 11.5 inches and 19.55 pounds, this litter box could fit into a smaller space like an apartment bathroom or hallway.
Then, if all this isn’t enough, there’s a health counter and motion sensor to track how many times your cat uses the box. The customer service is excellent: they are available Monday through Saturday for any issues or questions.
PetSafe has been a trusted company in pet products for 30 years, and with a litter box like this one, it’s obvious they excel at innovative products.
- No scooping, cleaning, or refilling your cat’s litter box for weeks.
- The crystal litter provides five times better odor control than traditional clumping litter.
- The plastic lining protects against leaking, and each tray comes with a lid for easy disposal.
- The health counter tracks your cat’s use of the litter box.
- Crystal litter is dust free and prevents tracking
- The plastic lining protects against leaks
- The motor is “whisper quiet”
- Health counter and motion sensor
- More expensive than most litter boxes
- Some cats don’t like the silica gel crystal litter
- Automatic cleaning machine needs a power outlet
4. Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
If you want a more basic cat litter box with plenty of room, check out the Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan. This is a larger litter box that measures 22 x 20 x 18 inches. The door opening measures 10.4 by 9.6 inches, so even a large cat will have plenty of room. Cats are finicky when they are doing their business, and they usually want complete privacy. With the swinging door, the Catit Hooded Litter Box provides them this privacy, while keeping odors away since the whole box is enclosed.
The large hood lifts off for easy cleaning access. Easy snaps and lock-ins provide a secure fit when you are putting it back on. The built-in bag anchor keeps the bag open, freeing your hands while you scoop the litter. The replaceable carbon filter on top of the litter box works effectively to remove odor. In addition, this litter box is made of durable BPA-free material that will last for years.
The swinging door keeps the litter contained and enhanced the privacy of this litter box. It can be removed if your cat doesn’t like it. The Catit Litter Box also comes with a free sample of the Magic Blue Litter Box Filter, which is worth checking out. The Catit Cat Litter Box is also available in a regular size if you don’t need one this large. Overall, this litter box is offered at a great value.
- This is a large litter box that accommodates large cats or multi-cat families.
- The swinging door protects your cat’s privacy while helping to keep the litter and odor inside the box.
- The replaceable carbon filter eliminates odors.
- This litter box is made of durable BPA-free materials and includes secure lock-ins and snaps to keep it assembled.
- Large litter area–perfect for large cats or multiple cats
- Carbon filter reduces odors
- Reduces litter tracking
- Bag anchor makes cleaning easy
- Good value
- Not all cats like the swinging door
- Some customers said their cats tear up the carbon filter
5. Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Box
Purina is a loved named brand in the pet world, and interesting enough, the Tidy Cat brand can be traced back to Ed Lowe, a man who “invented” cat litter in the late 1940s!
The Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box is not just a litter box; it’s a Cat Litter System Starter Kit. You will spend less time than ever on litter maintenance with this system. It features a hooded litter box with a scoop, a 3.5 lb. bag of litter pellets that need to be changed monthly, and four disposable absorbent pads.
So, what’s different about this system, you ask? Unlike traditional clumping litter, this cat litter system uses 99.9 % dust-free, anti-tracking dehydrating pellets that are placed in a grated tray above the litter box base. The pellets are not designed to clump together when exposed to cat urine; instead, the urine is filtered through the pellets and into the litter box base where it is then absorbed by a replaceable absorbent pad. The disposable pads absorb and control urine for one week or as needed and then can be easily replaced.
The easy-open hood is perfect for quick cleaning, and you won’t need to clean it often. In addition, one of the most significant benefits is that you won’t be dealing with large urine clumps.
At 16.8 x 20.5 x 16.5 inches and 10.37 pounds, this litter system will not take up much space in your apartment. Even better, you can set it up and then forget about it for a while. This starter kit comes with four absorbent pads, but you will need to replace them regularly.
- This litter box comes with everything you need to get started: the box, the scoop, the pellets, and the absorbent pads.
- The dehydrating pellets absorb separate urine and control odors
- Replacing the absorbent pads are quick, easy, and only needed once a week.
- This is a smaller size litter box with a white, green, and grey design.
- Absorbent pads reduce odors while absorbing urine
- No more scooping huge chunks of litter
- Anti-tracking pellets keep odor under control
- Easy-open hinged hood
- Easy to set up and maintain
- Replacement pads and dehydrating litter pellets need to be purchased regularly
- The litter box is on the small side, so may not accommodate larger cats
Factors for Choosing a Litter Box for a Small Spaces
This should go without saying, but you need to measure the space where you plan to put your litter box. Don’t just “eye” it; actually, measure it! After measuring the dimensions of your space, compare them to the dimensions when shopping for a litter box.
The good news is that most litter box manufacturers offer the same litter box in multiple sizes. They no longer come in a one-size-fits-all like they used to.
If you’re in a small apartment, you know that they are easier to fill up with odor. If you don’t want to clean the litter box every other day, try an automatic one. It will help maintain odor control while freeing up your time. Also, look for special odor-eliminating features that often accompany litter boxes.
The last thing you want in your small apartment is litter tracked all over the place. Look for litter boxes and litter brands that claim they will minimize or eliminate tracking, like our top choice, the ModKat Litter Box.
High sided and Enclosed
High sided, enclosed litter boxes are ideal in a small space because they make your job a little easier. It will be tougher for your cat to kick litter on the floor after they use it. Also, as I mentioned before, cats like their privacy, so an enclosed litter box will make your cat feel more comfortable doing her business.
Easy to Clean
Cleaning your litter box no longer needs to be a hassle since there are many new cleaning features to consider when choosing a litter box. From self-cleaning boxes to advanced cleaning systems, cat litter boxes come with a myriad of various cleaning perks.
The way a litter box looks matters, especially if you’re dealing with a small space. A small space means that a litter box is more noticeable. Thankfully, there are a lot of litter boxes out there that not only do their job, but that look sleek and classy or are even disguised as a potted plant, like the Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Box we reviewed!
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Should I Put the Litter Box in My Small Apartment?
The best place to put a litter box in a small apartment is where your cat has enough privacy and feels comfortable to do his thing. Even though your space is limited, try to look for a low-traffic spot with good ventilation.
Some people say the perfect place for a litter box is in a corner in the living room. Others say that the perfect place is in the bathroom. Still, others prefer their litter box in their bedroom. If you’re really cramped for room, you could place it in your closet (just make sure you leave the door open or take the hinges and door completely off!) or even in a cabinet (also, make sure you remove the door from its hinges if you try this). Depending on the size of the cabinet, you should be able to fit a standard-sized litter box in it.
Depending on the space you have and where your litter box will fit nicely, there is no wrong place to put your cat’s litter box. You may just need to get creative!
Sometimes challenges come along form living in a small area. Thankfully, owning and caring for a cat is one that is easily resolved, no matter how small the square footage. All it takes is a little strategic creativity, and you and your cat are cozy and happy!